If you are serious about giving your brand a digital presence, but have been shying away from making your website mobile-friendly, then it is time. You may have ignored the agencies and the consultants about the importance of having a website which is mobile friendly but this time, it is right from Google and you better take notice!
SEO in 2015 is a part of the changing online landscape and should be deeply-rooted in every fabric and facet of your online presence. It is time when we start thinking about SEO in a more strategic way. The best SEO should revolve around the users, who are the main audience and the ones that ultimately determine the success or failure of a website.
THE BIG CHANGE!
A lot of research is being done by Google on how to make search result pages on mobile more rewarding and user friendly. Google cares a lot about the usability of a mobile website, hence making your website mobile friendly and fast loading isn’t optional anymore.
Google wants to reward sites which provide a good experience to its mobile users and has thus decided on updating its search algorithm. Mobile is no more just a machine; it is how people behave and where they are in their customer journey.
WHEN TO EXPECT THE BIG CHANGE?
21st April is going to be the day when Google makes its big move finally. And get ready to expect a lot of drastic changes in your search results (Provided if you don’t prepare yourself accordingly.)
In this increasingly mobile-first connected world, it has become very important to take our mobile users seriously. Google has already updated its page speed website with the links to their new tool to check if a website is mobile friendly or not as Google Mobile Friendly Test and it has also listed down the issues.
TWO WAYS TO CREATE A MOBILE FRIENDLY WEBSITE
1) Responsive Web Design: You need to present a uniform experience across all mobile and desktop platforms, so responsive design is the way to go. Responsive website can be created by using various media queries in CSS.
Responsive design is a web design approach to create an optimal viewing experience on various view ports using same mark-up but different styling. Basic concept of responsive is showing/hiding and resizing content depending upon the viewport.
2) Redirection by User Agent: by creating a separate portal for mobiles and hand-held devices.
In this approach, user is redirected to a separate portal depending if the browser user-agent is mobile.
MERITS AND DEMERITS
- In Responsive Web Design (RWD) approach the UI is manipulated on the front-end depending upon the view-port (screen size). System’s resolution is also a factor in setting up the view port of a website. While in other approach the user is redirected to another portal (generally on a sub-domain of a website like m.facebook.com) and thus it just uses fluid design to cover up all the resolutions.
- One can check for a website to be responsive using various online and standalone tools and also by classic way- re-sizing the browser window! You can also check for the mobile redirection approach by changing the user agent of your browser in dev-tools.
- While creating a responsive websites we can use any of the various frameworks like Twitter Bootstrap, HTML5 BoilerPlate, PURECSS
- Demerits of Responsive Design: You’ll have to configure all your view ports and all the configurations will be loaded at the front end then browser will decide the view depending upon the browser’s window size.
- Demerits of Mobile Redirection: you’ll have to manage 2 portals for desktop and handheld devices, differently. You may have to re-configure both the portals with change in backend.
NEEDS OF A GOOD RESPONSIVE WEBSITE
– Readability: Font size according to the view port for better user-experience
– All Content adapts into the screen removing horizontal scroll
– Most of the time links start to merge or overlap in a non-friendly website
– Ease of use over any device like
– Target maximum number of users: as a lot of traffic is from mobiles and hand held devices these days
– To use different images for hi-res devices like retina, 4K and 5K
Overall, creating a responsive website efficiently is and will become the better and the most used approach in coming days. We at Solomo Media have been investing our efforts since beginning in developing mobile friendly websites. To know more about how responsive websites behave, do look at the websites we have developed and play with them on different screen resolutions –