What Is Link Building?
The acquisition of back links from external websites to your own is what link building can briefly be explained as. It is one of the proven & equally challenging SEO skill.
Probably even as an SEO toddler, one of the foremost SEO strategy one might have heard of is the gravity of building links. Although Link building is an inescapable trait of practically every successful SEO strategy, but it does not actually mean that every link you build is equally significant or that the strategies to gain backlinks have the same impact all this time.
Evolution of Link Building:
It was in the late 90s when link building began to dominate as a strategy in the search engine market. Larry Page, the founder of the Google coined “Page Rank” to evaluate a page’s quality, which was directly proportional to the number of links pointing to the page. Thereafter, Page Rank became the ranking signal and started being the ranking algorithm, as it determined the relevance of a page in its niche.
The practice of link building soon went awry as SEOs soon discovered how to manipulate Page Rank and search results for chosen keywords. It soon got contaminated with mass spamming, purchasing of links, online directory website submissions, building bad links, mass commenting on sites and using computerized link bait.
As the practice became evident, Google started looking for ways to find websites that have been manipulating SERPs. Regular algorithm updates were released that specifically targeted at filtering out websites that didn’t deserve the attained (higher) rank. These algorithm updates enforced harsher penalties on website owners who sustained in the old, unethical means of link building.
The major Google algorithm update to penalize unethical link building or spamming link building was released on April 24, 2012, named Penguin.
Link Building Strategies That Aren’t, Worth the Effort
- Buying Paid Links: The biggest “no-no” is the buying of links. One must not pay for a back link ever.
- Forum Postings: The most frequent link building technique is using community forums to make a profile signature with a personal link. These Signature links created at the bottom of the content posted in a community are surprisingly in the lowest of quality. Even if they fetch some traffic, they are improbable to possess any resilient effect on the internet pages you connect them to. It is because, these links aren’t relevant, just like all hyperlink spam methods and so the various search engines disregard these links and assign them no value.
- Blog Commenting: SPLOGS (spam personal blogs) websites are a popular haunt of hyperlink spammers. They comment on blog sites in the anticipation of building an association to their client’s website. These links again are not relevance structured, unless the blog is actively supervised by its owner and popular blog software such as WordPress automatically considers it a nofollow link. All you get is some futile website traffic. Blog commenting does work wonders when a comment is accepted on a higher traffic popular blog.
- Directory Submissions: Although this methodology of link building does create back links and gets traffic to a website, but simultaneously behaves as another spam; and, much like other spam techniques, links from web directories aren’t relevance based and do not contribute hiking a page’s rank. Surely, there are some significant exceptions for relevant submissions, like DMOZ directory website and Yahoo.
- Social Bookmarking: One commendable strategy to obtain valuable links in the initial days of back linking was Social Bookmarking. However, the territory didn’t remain uncharted by the determined link spammers which exacted some trustworthy bookmarking websites like Digg, Sphinn etc. to no follow links to deter them.
- Low-Quality Articles Submissions: Submitting low taste contents to different article submission sites for link building would serve no good to a website’s health.Google algorithm updates targeted and devalued all such poor standard articles that deliver no value to users. The gist clearly is that a web page with a low-quality content won’t ever appear high in the SERPs.
Link Building Strategies Worth The Effort
- Content Marketing: Worthy back links can clearly be acquired only with quality content that delivers value to your prospective customers. While contents maneuvered with the intention to get links are certain to get a site penalized, outstanding knowledgeable content will organically encourage the relevant audience to.
Also, creation and distribution of quality content must be regular, to maintain the brand recall. The determination behind the content Curation ought to be to spread a word of information and never to gain links.
- Guest Blogging On Relevant Sites: Curating quality content and getting in touch with other websites in a specific niche to have your site post published on the blog. When requesting, it’s important that exhibit the worth & relevance of the article.
Additional to acquiring the desired link, building a relationship with the publishers can win opportunities to know and post some quality and informative content on the web in future as well.
- Join Communities: Communities in the form of social multimedia hubs, forums, websites and social networks, focused on any and every industry are excellent places to voice a company’s competence.
Make it an intention to participate in these online communities is to provide valuable information, & not build links.
- Increase Engagement through Social Sharing: Nothing but Interesting, informative & interactive content grabs potent traffic from the social crowd to learn & talk about the subject in concern. Sharing of posts on social media pages, other online hubs& repurposing an article into different platforms like infographics, PDF, videos and slide presentations will do the apt to the content.
- Fixing Broken Links: Research and fixation of broken links on a site is one of the most effective link maintenance strategies. Picking out the broken links that are of interest, locating the links that go to nonexistent WebPages & suggesting the website owner a fresh page that may provide value with their audience would prove to be a two-way fruitful affair.
Link building undeniably continues to play a predominant role in any SEO strategy. With Google’s keen surveillance suggests building relationship with rich content and all that must be taken care of is the quality over quantity.